<VV> Brakes

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Jul 29 23:48:50 EDT 2007

If it is always the left rear locking up, you can check shoes by
switching them from the left to the right, etc.

My bet is always on the brake hardware and flexable hoses. Take the
springs off and see if one side was harder to remove than the other.
Drop the springs on a concrete floor and see if any sound different.
Overheating and/or stretching cause changes in the spring rate that can
be heard. So if similar spring sound different, change them.

I NEVER turn drums unless there is actual damage to them. This is a pet
peeve of mine. Why do mechanics turn drums as part of a typical drum
brake job when there is no damage? Any unnecesary metal removal make the
drum that much closer to the scrap pile. Now Corvair drums are plentiful
used, so not much problem here, but try to find aluminum finned front
drums for a 60's Buick....

OK, off the soap box!

I would have bled the fronts when bleeding the rear. This flushes the
whole system.

Is the backing plate lubed where the shoes ride?

Make sure both sides are adjusted the same.

Again, hoses can go bad internally with the outside looking great.

Frank DuVal