[fastvair] Re: <VV> Electric cooling fan results (long winded) / Reply

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Mon Jul 30 10:17:12 EDT 2007

 Thank you for your accolades.

I will answer some of your questions as I did in the tech session, you just didn't hear them.

The typical do it yourself owner probably will not deflash the heads or not do it properly, this was sort of implied. You and I would do the best that we could.? I did state that I took the top off the engine and installed the fan much like a typical owner might do. I did not do all the tricks to make an engine cool, that is another test down the line. We didn't do anything special to make the fan work or anything special to make it fail, and I personally wanted this to work.

The point is, We took a good running engine that stayed cool with the stock fan, put on the electric fan on as supplied and it did not stay cool. Also if you recall at the end of the session I did say that a purpose built engine with all the tricks done to make it cool just might work, but, not for the average engine that someone may just put this kit on.

Next year you just may see a modified electric fan kit on my race car. If it even comes close to working, then I will talk to Frank about the data logger and getting some data as my race car is still street legal and then maybe even some race data.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com