[fastvair] Re: <VV> Electric cooling fan results (long winded) / Reply

Dennis & Debbie PLEAU ddpleau at msn.com
Mon Jul 30 21:32:27 EDT 2007

My $0.03 (the dollar sucks right now).

If I remember right from 1980 when the Chevy Citation came out which is very
similar in size to the Corvair, they advertised the gas mileage was so good
because the car used less than 20 hp to go 60 mph at a constant speed on
level ground.  If we round this off for a Corvair at 20hp at 60 (I don't
care for this discussion even it is 30hp), the electric fan couldn't cool at
this very low HP in the tests.  Just think how it would do if you were going
up a 6% grade or on the back stretch at a raceway when you are trying to put
out a lot more than 20hp.  This kit fails big time!!!

If you deflashed the heads and put a top cover that would direct the air,
maybe you could more than double the efficiently and cool the heat generated
at 40 or even 60 hp, you are still below what it would take to cool a 95hp
motor and much less required for a 110, 140 or 180 hp motor.

Again it is proven it takes a lot of HP to cool the HP developed by a
Corvair engine.  The little over 0.25hp (238 watts, 17A * 14V) required to
run this electric fan isn't going to cut it.

Dennis