<VV> Vacuum brake booster

Edelstein and Payne eandp at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 31 07:46:25 EDT 2007

Folks,

     The blue hot rod that my son Doran and I are building is taking longer than anticipated (heard that story before?), so this weekend I picked up a wonderful 65  500 series powerglide coupe from Garland Ray up in Virginia.  Doran will drive the car to high school starting the end of next month, and continue using it until the blue hot rod is done.  However, he is having real problems getting used to the unassisted brakes (I could do a rap about how spoiled and soft todays kids are, but it's not worth the effort).  So I'm thinking of installing a vacuum booster  ---  probably not on Garland's car, but on the blue car that will be Doran's permanent ride.

     So what has been folks experience with vacuum boosters?  Do they work well  (we're staying with drum brakes)?  How much trouble are  they to install?  Where do you grab vacuum from at the motor (it's a 140 with a moderate cam)?  And how do your run a line from the motor up to the trunk?

     Thanks for your help.

                    Travis Payne     65 Monza coupe
                    Raleigh, NC      65 500 coupe