<VV> cooling fan history

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Jul 31 17:25:05 EDT 2007

Remember the history! The Mag fan was Magnesium by chance. It was  originally
a plastic fan - (Tom Keosababian had one of those plastic babies, by  the
way!). Midway through R&D, the plastic was being attacked by acid fumes  during
test, and the decision was made at the last minute to go to  Magnesium.
Virtually the same molds could be used.

If the earlier fan can produce enough pressure/flow to cool the hotter late
model motor, would it make sense to start with one of these to be  driven via
an electric drive system. Inertia doesn't matter, it will  be driven at old
speed. - Seth

In a message dated 7/31/2007 2:12:16 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
tonyu at roava.net writes:

>The  mag fan was introduced because of too many thrown belt  complaints.

Uh...  I mentioned that.

>Later,  JR
>>

>>No, the mag fan was introduced because  it was cheaper.   I'd wager
>>the '62-63 fan is better at  moving air than the mag fan although it
>>remains much heavier and  more expensive to produce.
>>

>>That mag fan is  a simple casting that has NO attention paid to
>>aerodynamics or  efficient air flow.  The only thing it does is beat
>>out a  more efficient fan in manufacturing costs and less weight,
>>which  means belts will stay on better, both factors more important
>>to  GM...  efficient cooling is a lesser matter when money is
>>concerned, when the mag fan would be "good enough".

And  I still say it was also cheaper and simpler to make.   THIS was
as much a factor as the light weight that helped keep belts on the  pulleys.