<VV> cooling fan history

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue Jul 31 21:13:26 EDT 2007

At 02:25 PM 7/31/2007, Sethracer at aol.com wrote:

>Remember the history!

Yes, I do.  ;)

>The Mag fan was Magnesium by chance. It was  originally
>a plastic fan - (Tom Keosababian had one of those plastic babies, by  the
>way!). Midway through R&D, the plastic was being attacked by acid
>fumes  during
>test, and the decision was made at the last minute to go to  Magnesium.
>Virtually the same molds could be used.

Seen one.   It's a ringer for the mag fan except for being the color
of a squashed pawpaw...

Word has it that the mag fan *is* in fact exactly like the original
plastic variant, simply cast in a different medium.   By the way, it
was made from the same plastic that had started showing up in other
places in cars like instrument clusters and dashes and bezels etc
because it was strong and durable... it just didn't much like battery
acid.

...can NOT remember the name of the stuff.

>If the earlier fan can produce enough pressure/flow to cool the hotter late
>model motor, would it make sense to start with one of these to be  driven via
>an electric drive system. Inertia doesn't matter, it will  be driven at old
>speed. - Seth

Ahh... thank you, this is my point exactly.

tony..