<VV> Electric cooling fan results

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue Jul 31 21:25:32 EDT 2007

At 02:54 PM 7/31/2007, JVHRoberts at aol.com wrote:
>Look at the curves, it's only slightly better. The 911 fan is WAY better.

How much IS "way better"?  This is why I'd liked to see some serious
comparisons in real world environments.

Hell, I still tend to consider that the cooling fan that went on Fiat
850s looks enough like the Porsche fan to consider adapting it to the
Corvair shroud.   Depending on year, it came in both flavors,
aluminum and plastic.

And, it's pitched correctly for a 'Vair engine.   I might need to
look a bit closer in the Fiat parts stash, see what's what.

>Look at the electric fan data. It's SO far from being adequate,
>well, you get the idea.

Yep.  It's not really feasible to adequately cool a 'Vair engine with
an electric fan that's gonna be running off the alternator for all
intents and purposes, not without some help like ducted ram-air from
outside the vehicle.

Speaking of which:   Why hasn't this come up?   If somebody really
wanted to experiment, they could mount scoops on the fenders (ala
Ferrari?  ;) ) and duct air to the inlet of the shroud via a
fabricated plenum.   Combined with the alternator driven electric fan
that so many people seem interested, it could be the difference
between the electric fan system actually working and not working at
highway speeds.

Besides, I always liked the looks of those trick looking NASA style
"flush" air scoops seen on a variety of aircraft and race cars.

tony..