<VV> Vacuum modulator valve/line vacuum test

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 31 19:21:32 EDT 2007

	I'm going to try to check the vacuum modulator valve vacuum readings
using my new Mityvac.  If I understand correctly, I will attach a
hose to the Mityvac pump, which has the dial indicator attached, and
connect the other end of the tube to the steel line that comes
through the firewall which connects to the vacuum modulator valve OR
if I am mistaken, I would make the second connection to the
carburetor balance tube, OR if I'm totally mistaken, I would make a
"T" connection between them which would require buying that
connection device as it wasn't included in the numerous connections
provided with the kit.
	I then follow the directions on p. 7-55 of the '65 Service manual.
After raising the car's rear end off the ground about 3-5", I
disconnect the TV rod and the cross bar and start the car.  It does
have an electric fuel pump and, therefore, should start without
assistance from the gas pedal after doing this (if necessary, I'll
disengage it after starting, but working in close quarters with the
blower going is not my idea of safe mechanic operations).  I will
then put the PG through the various shift positions, read the gauge,
and then compare them with the chart on p. 7-55.
	Next problem ; my gauge measures in Hg vac or the corresponding
kpa.  I want to be able to convert to psi which the table on 7-55
shows.  After doing a little research, I found that: "One standard
atmosphere equals 14.7 psi (29.92 in.-Hg)".  If that is true, and I'm
not missing something - yeah, right - then I would never be able to
use this indicator to measure the vacuum pressure as the dial, which
measures from 0-30 Hg vac/ (about) 100 Kilopascals or kPa, would run
out of dial after about 14 psi.   My lowest reading, other than 0 in
R and N would be 45 psi and I would need to be able to obtain
measurements in excess of 100 psi for the L position check.
	Sorry for the questions, but I've researched the Service manual, the
operation booklet that came with the Mityvac and the web and I'm
still at a loss.
	What am I missing here?

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
Corvaireum //

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza Hardtop 110