<VV> Electric cooling fan results

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts at aol.com
Tue Jul 31 19:48:05 EDT 2007

In a message dated 7/31/2007 6:25:47 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tonyu at roava.net writes:

>Look  at the curves, it's only slightly better. The 911 fan is WAY  better.

How much IS "way better"?  This is why I'd liked to see  some serious
comparisons in real world  environments.
hell of a lot more power...  Howzat?

Hell, I still tend to consider that the cooling fan that went  on Fiat
850s looks enough like the Porsche fan to consider adapting it to  the
Corvair shroud.   Depending on year, it came in both  flavors,
aluminum and plastic.
engine's needs. Air cooled  engines have less air flow, at MUCH higher static
pressure than a radiator.

And,  it's pitched correctly for a 'Vair engine.   I might need to
look a bit closer in the Fiat parts stash, see what's  what.

>Look at the electric fan data. It's SO far from being  adequate,
>well, you get the idea.

Yep.  It's not  really feasible to adequately cool a 'Vair engine with
an electric fan  that's gonna be running off the alternator for all
intents and purposes,  not without some help like ducted ram-air from
outside the  vehicle.

Speaking of which:   Why hasn't this come  up?   If somebody really
wanted to experiment, they could mount  scoops on the fenders (ala
Ferrari?  ;) ) and duct air to the inlet  of the shroud via a
fabricated plenum.   Combined with the  alternator driven electric fan
that so many people seem interested, it  could be the difference
between the electric fan system actually working  and not working at
highway speeds.
to the static pressure  requirements of a Corvair engine. Then you'll
understand why Porsche never did  this trick.

Besides, I always liked the looks of those trick looking NASA style
"flush" air scoops seen on a variety of aircraft and race  cars.