<VV> Electric fans

John Kepler jekepler at amplex.net
Tue Jul 31 19:35:53 EDT 2007

Sometimes they work real well and sometimes not so well.

Which is why engineers exist!  Engineering replaces the "maybe...maybe
not...coulda-sorta" of the "tinkerer", and arrives at scientifically-valid
evaluations of an idea without the likely useless "futzing" of the
non-engineer.  When an idea DOES prove to be technically valid, you then
move to a carefully and mathematically calculated testing design that will
not only prove the validity of the "idea", but optimize it to arrive at the
most "elegant" solution the "idea" and the application criteria will allow

The point is, I got off my keester and tried them.

Funny....I got out my calculator and then ran a couple of flow simulations
on my computer....and went back to watching the ball game.  "Practically
impossible" is the operative phrase within the articulated design
conditions, the numbers proved it....and NO tinkering was required to
unequivocally confirm it....the numbers alone were sufficiently conclusive.

That's a hell of a lot more than you vociferous yammer jaws have
accomplished in the last week.

Oh I don't know...what exactly was "accomplished" by his gymkhana?  That
certain folks have too much free time on their hands that they should
probably better spend taking a couple of basic engineering courses than
building "cooling fans" that simply can't work as presented?   I fail to see
where ANYTHING was accomplished by spending large amounts of money and large
amounts of time building something didn't work, when 15 minutes with a
graphing calculator and some very basic engineering knowledge would have
proven that it was a "Dead Horse" from the git-go!

Not trying to sound harsh...but you are the one that got bilious first, and
this whole deal is something that a third-year Undergrad engineering student
could blow sky-high without breaking a sweat!

BTW, this is NOT to say that the stock fan is the "end-all/be-all"....I
don't believe it is (the idea of adding "ram-air" via NACA openings behind
the door might be a winner), or that it, coupled with some permutation of
variable-speed fan might improve cooling while lowering the parasitic loads
on the engine!  However, to accomplish that goal is going to require
breaking the current paradigm, and re-engineer the entire cooling system on
a fairly fundamental level.  It isn't going to be some "bag" you are going
to be able to hang on the existing design that will magically cool the
engine at even it's highest sustainable power output...all while reducing
the parasitic loads to some ridiculously low-level.  People in hell want
ice-water too....but no amount of wishful thinking or "tinkering" is going
to make that happen....some solid engineering might.

John