<VV> Re:Trasmission shims (lost??) was Clutch here we go:

Bill Wells brierpath at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 4 23:33:00 EDT 2007

Kerry wrote:

In dissaembly process, getting ready to remove the engine/trans asm. I
noticed that at the transmission support bracket, there is at least an
inch between the bracket and the back of the transmission and there are
no 'shims'. Since I 'think'  this affects alignment (tow-in/out)??
Shouldn't they be there?  How many are usually used? The Clarks catalog
says the shims for the 4 speed are 1/16th thick, it seems like it would
take a LOT of them to fill the space? IF it ever stops raining I will
try to get a picture of what's there...if that would help!

The more I take apart, the worse things get....

Kerry,

  On a four speed, you should have a spacer on the single bolt side of your trans and just shims on the two bolt side. If you have a gap, the spacer is likely missing. This will cause toe-out and very poor handling. You can replace the spacer with a stack of 7/16 flat washers if you do not have access to the spacer. I am at work or I would measure how much you need.
  Add shims until you have no toe-out and your ride will be much nicer. All this assumes you have an early model or FC. 65s use the spacer, but no shims.

  Good Luck,
  Bill Wells