<VV> RE:Trasmission shims (lost??)

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Mon Jun 4 23:52:06 EDT 2007

<SNIP>
In dissaembly process, getting ready to remove the engine/trans asm. I
noticed that at the transmission support bracket, there is at least an inch
between the bracket and the back of the transmission and there are no
'shims'. Since I 'think'  this affects alignment (tow-in/out)??
Shouldn't they be there?  How many are usually used? The Clarks catalog says
the shims for the 4 speed are 1/16th thick, it seems like it would take a
LOT of them to fill the space? IF it ever stops raining I will try to get a
picture of what's there...if that would help!
The more I take apart, the worse things get....
Kerry
1963/4 Spyder convertible
<UNSNIP>

Kerry, Since you have a Spyder, I'll assume that it's a 4-speed.  The
passenger side of a 4-speed takes a "U" shaped shim that has two forked ends
- One shim fits under a pair of bolts.  On the driver's side, there's a
thick spacer (3859205 or Clarks C9387) that takes up most of the gap. (The
spacer is around 1/2"+ thick). Once the spacer is in place, the driver's
side will take the about the same number of shims as the passenger side, but
requires a wider, single-bolt-type shim since the driver's side uses a
single large-diameter bolt.  Yes, as you suggested, these shims set the toe;
leave them out and your Corvair will redefine "squirrelly" :-)

Craig Nicol
65,66,67,68