<VV> fun cruise/trip with Central VA club

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Mon Jun 4 23:59:34 EDT 2007

I had the most fun I've had so far with my 65 Monza this last weekend.  We went on a cruise with the Central VA club to a drive-in theatre and a cookout visit to Mel Herwald's.  We met them in Richmond at John Loth's house and took off in a pack together.  I'd never cruised with a bunch of Corvairs before and it was awsome.  Seeing all those Corvairs together (even the funny-looking earlies) on the road was a treat.

Paul Wheland led us on some very pretty and very curvy mountain roads on highway 60 in his Greenbrier.  Unfortunately for me, I wasn't driving.  My wife is prone to car-sickness so she usually drives - especially on curvy roads.  She was nervous at first but ended up having a great time once she relaxed.  Fun!

We spent the night near Lexington VA and went to a drive-in theatre together.  It's been a while and it was fun.  They let us park together and announced our presence on the PA system a couple times and encouraged people to come check out our cars.  A few did and it was fun showing them around.  The food was even good and I got to use one of the little hang on speaker things.

The next day, Russ Davis led us on an adventurous drive on more curvy mountain roads in the rain.  We made it to Mel's (but he wasn't there - something to do with Volvos) and had our cookout in the rain.  Russ stood in for Mel and gave us a fun and interesting tour of Mel's shops and sheds and cars.  Paul left little "love notes" for Mel wherever we visited.

Before you knew it, it was time to go home.  We took the 64 freeway home to be efficient.  It wasn't as much fun as the other roads but it got us home at reasonable time.  I did get to do some driving on the freeway at least and the car drove great.

It was an absolute blast driving with the other Corvairs.  Get out and drive yours!  The public appreciates it and so will you.

Thank you Russ for planning such a fun event.  I hope it's an annual thing.

mikeH
TCC