<VV> rebuilding carbs

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 5 19:35:42 EDT 2007

Ray,
  Carbs probably had little to do with the carbon. If you do it yourself and are very careful and follow all advice for jet sizes etc, it is a cheap way to rebuild carbs. It only costs 4 major rebuild kits.

   Perhaps the prior owner did not exercise the engine to get the heads hot enough to keep the carbon from forming. I use a full throttle (4 carbs at about 40 mph) to work the system. You only have to accelerate to about 60 mph. I do this about once a week when the engine is hot, or when necessary to accelerate into a traffic pattern.

   Let's see what other advice you get.

Ray Rodriguez <reray at echoes.net> wrote:
  Greetings all,

I am preparing to rebuild my (140) carbs with the help of a friend who has some experience. I found that there was heavy carbon buildup in my engine (which had a very low mileage rebuild and was not burning oil) so I'm wondering if you guys could point me toward the known trouble spots etc. I'm just looking for a little advice as to what to look for and fix that might be particular to Corvairs.

I had been planning to get my carbs professionally rebuilt, but I spent a lot more $$ then I expected on other parts of the car (heads) and now have to watch my budget.

Thanks!

Ray Rodriguez

MIKE KOVACS