<VV> re: heavy carbon buildup

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Wed Jun 6 13:04:40 EDT 2007

Around 1970 I bought a 66 corsa turbo (mileage not recalled) that I bought with a puffing head gasket, that I had repaired by a Chevy dealer.  A little later that motor came out to be HotRodded by me for use in another car.

During the autopsy I found heavy, port filling carbon deposits on the backsides (port side) of many of the (intake?) valves.  I believe I briefly speculated that perhaps the abuse that had taken out the cylinder head gasket had also toasted the valve seals before putting the heads in the spares department, as the project's 140 heads were being prepped for use with the turbo innards.

Any heads I use now I investigate (measure!) the valve stem and guide condition closely.

I might still have those heads someplace.

--
Dan Timberlake

Message: 2