<VV> re: heavy carbon buildup

Duane, Jim (US SSA) jim.duane at baesystems.com
Wed Jun 6 13:20:34 EDT 2007

That's what my intake ports looked like when I dropped my heads at the
local 'Vair "head Guru" Jack Lundin.  I don't know how he did it or how
long it took, but he got it all out!  I think it was my constantly
overfilled Carter...
Jim Duane
'66 Corsa CVT
Colonial Corvairs
CORAS
<<<SNIP>>>

Around 1970 I bought a 66 corsa turbo (mileage not recalled) that I
bought with a puffing head gasket, that I had repaired by a Chevy
dealer.  A little later that motor came out to be HotRodded by me for
use in another car.

During the autopsy I found heavy, port filling carbon deposits on the
backsides (port side) of many of the (intake?) valves.  I believe I
briefly speculated that perhaps the abuse that had taken out the
cylinder head gasket had also toasted the valve seals before putting the
heads in the spares department, as the project's 140 heads were being
prepped for use with the turbo innards.

<<<Politically correct SNIP>>>