<VV> mounting provisions for front seat belts in '63

Wrsssatty at aol.com Wrsssatty at aol.com
Wed Jun 6 15:34:44 EDT 2007

<If I remember correctly, in 1963, the factory had
not yet started pre-drilling the holes in the floor for belts so you will
need factory-type instruction sheets to locate the holes.>

Factory mounting provisions (i.e. pre-drilled holes in the floor) for lap
belts for outboard front seat passengers (at least in Corvairs) started with the
'62 model year.  If seat belts haven't been installed yet, the plugged holes
will be there under the carpet (in Monzas) or under the rubber floor mats in
500s and 700s.  For the rear seats in a '63 you have to drill your own holes.
There are factory recommendations for the location of such holes.  Someone on
here, no doubt, can point you in the right direction for a copy of Chevy's
recommendation for installing rear seat belts in a '63.  BTW, Clarks (and probably
other vendors) sell nice lap belts that are of the aircraft style that were
common after-market seat belts used when our Corvairs were new.  To the best of
my knowledge they meet current safety regulations for automotive lap belts
and they certainly look "correct" in your car.

~Bill Stanley