<VV> Tony Fiore

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Thu Jun 7 04:53:40 EDT 2007

Folks
     As a Community of Hobbyists, we are less for the loss of Tony Fiore.
     For those  not aware,one of the first Corvairs delivered in New York County (Manhattan) was driven off by Tony in 1959.  That's how much a cornerstone of the Corvair world he was.
     Writing as a previous Virtual Vairs Chairman, Tony was an active member of our e-mail list for several years. He didn't write or respond to many posts,(he read them all) but when he did I can say that EVERYONE stopped and paid attention. In a time where it is hard to get people in their 60's and 70's to even touch a computer, Tony was still typing away in his 90's.
     For the longevity and body of work and support he gave CORSA and the Corvair Community he did not demand, but rather commanded the respect of everyone.
     When I brought my Corvair Decade book into Steele so our new VP of Marketing could be "Corvair Edumacated", And he read the dedication Tony had written in it to me, he was very impressed.  I told him that if you owned a Corvair, you were Tony's friend; and if you worked for CORSA, you were just a notch higher.
      Tony lauded me in person for my work in Co-founding the Corvair Basics Manual, and when he did, I told him we had a great book, but I had no desire for him to try to lift me up anywhere near his level. He belonged where he was:
     An original Corvair Driver (and as an owner of one of the first 1960 models on the road, the first CAVEMAN), And a founding father of CORSA.  I felt barely fit to "tie the man's shoes".
     His knowledge, wisdom and friendship to all he came in contact with is his gift to us. As long as CORSA survives as an organization, Tony will drive on in our cars as well as our memories.
     Rest Easy my Friend, you've earned it.  You will be missed,but not forgotten.

Hank