<VV> the "next generation" of Corvair enthusiasts

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Thu Jun 7 13:45:37 EDT 2007

Ray, I appreciate your comments on this but honestly, and no offense intended, you do not speak for all "kids".  There's no way anyone speaks for all of any demographic.  I'm sure there are a lot of kids that like what you photoshopped, I'm no kid but even I liked it, but there are plenty of other "kids" who like other things.  Every generation has had their hotrodders, their drag racers, their road racers, their cruisers, their stereo fanatics, their whatever.  The younger generations are no different.

Is a a Corvair fast?  It depends on what you mean by that.  For drag racing, which is what most of the muscle cars are good for, no.  But for going around corners, in the 60's they were tough to beat and even now they do pretty good.  Only 140's and Turbo's will attract the young crowd?  They only respond to "bling"??  Come on, I don't think so.  Many do, but a lot don't.  110's and even 95's are fun to drive and they all have the same handling (well, within a group anyway - all 60's, all 61-63's, all 64's, all 65-69's, all FC's, you know what I mean).

Even the current crop of geriatric, old, decrepit, why do they bother going on living anymore, Corvair fans have vastly different tastes in what they like about the cars.  There are the early model lovers, the lates, the 4-doors, the convertibles, the concours, the autocrossers, the drivers, the best mpg guys, the pure stock obsessed, the lunatics with V8's, the etc.....  To say the current Corvair base likes the cars simply because they were young when the Corvair was new is silly.  They have a variety of reasons for liking the cars.

It is going to be tough to attract a significant young crowd to the Corvair as long as it associated with old folks.  And the fact is that right now, it is.  I'm 47 so I'm not young but I'm also not as old as the "typical" Corvair guy.  Most Corvair functions are geared to the older set.  I have a 10 year old and it's tough keeping him entertained sometimes.  He likes "classics" as he calls them though.  Not just Corvairs, all classic cars - even Mustangs!!

I hope I never see the day when the only Corvairs left around are those that have been modified with giant wheels, fancy paint with flames, killer stereos and V8's.   Those cars are fine but I like Corvairs and hope there's always a bunch of essentially stock ones around.  There's more to what makes a Corvair a fun car to drive and own than how it looks.  A lot more in my opinion.  Although I do like looking at my car, she's a beauty (as are all late models of course).

mikeH
old and busted in VA