<VV> Broken Valve Guides

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Thu Jun 7 19:33:40 EDT 2007

At 12:11 PM 6/7/2007, Ron wrote:
>I have a salvageable (?) 102 head that has three of the valve guides
>broken off roughly flush with the outer face.  I can only presume
>that they were broken in some attempted removal operation.  The head
>is somewhat weathered but not pitted.  Is it worth trying to remove
>the guides and if so, how?

A guide removal pilot and a hammer does the trick.        I've taken
guides out like this (iron ones) with nary an issue.

It *does* take a serious wack.    You won't tap them out.     I use a
rock hammer with an integral shaft/handle, swift smack, usually two
wacks and the guide is out.    The pilot knocks them out clean enough
to re-use if you so desire.

tony..