<VV> Power Top success

tkalp at cox.net tkalp at cox.net
Thu Jun 7 23:45:06 EDT 2007

This grand group comes thru once again.

The PO of my '65 Corsa convertible had started the process of converting it over to a power top. The mechanical parts were installed but no wiring, switch or relay.  He said it didn't work because he adjusted the gears too tight. He also provided the original manual top parts.   Since I never had any problem with my manual top and didn't want to fool with the power stuff,  I decided to swap stuff out . . . . arrgggg,  Finally figured out I would have to take  about half the top apart just to swap out the parts to convert to manual.

Today I decided just to bolt the power parts back up and see what happens.  Decided to see if I could run the motor . . .  it was pretty stiff.   Pulled off the drive gear and found the cavity full of old hard grease . . .  cleaned it up and put a dab of lith grease on the plastic gears.  Every thing spun fine.  Then I couldn't figure out the wiring.  when I came home for lunch I printed out the diagram provided by Padgett, figured out what I was doing wrong.  Wired it up  at the bench and it ran one way swapped some wiring and then it ran the other, Put it back in the car and hooked up the cables and with rigged wiring the top powered down.

Now I need a relay and a switch . . . stock is not required, but functional is.  Any advice on what switch and relay to use.   I have seen power window switches at the help section of the FLAPS   would one of those work?  What relay(s)?

Terry Kalp