<VV> Re:VALVE GUIDE REMOVAL

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Fri Jun 8 05:51:21 EDT 2007

i have an old oven in my shop for working on heads etc.  the heads  should be
heated to get the guides out without gauling the holes.  if  heated for about
20-30 mins at @400 degs, the guides come out without  stressing the area
around them.  i keep guides in the freezer. a slight tap  and they go in most of
the way before the head grips them. then finish driving  them. the main thing
here is evenly heating the whole head , not just the area  around the guide
with a torch etc.  i found my oven free at the appliance  store junk pile. they
seem to remove lots of built in ovens for  remodeling.  i put a cord on it to
plug in the welder outlet.  so when  i dont need it it sits under the bench. i
use it outdoors to keep the stink out  of the shop.  when you "cook" the heads
it also boils the oil out of the  dirt so you can just about blow the heads
clean with an air hose.
regards, tim colson