Fwd: <VV> exhaust extractor's from Clark's/mounting

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Fri Jun 8 11:37:44 EDT 2007

In a message dated 6/8/2007 11:09:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
hyarnell1 at earthlink.net writes:

I concur with Bill. My feelings exactly.
The smaller diameter (pipe) trombones are a little more mellow. Both have a
great sound...

I liked the small diameter trombones that Clark's sells as well.  That said,
it's important that you attach them to the engine securely with a stiff but
flexible rear mount on each pipe and that you put some sort of heat shield
between them and the valve covers.  (Maybe Clark's has better mounts than what I
received over ten years ago).  I used universal muffler hangers (those with a
piece of old tire between the clamp and metal mounting strap attached to the
shrouding where the old hangers were.  If you can't get 140 heat shields then you
can cut a piece of sheet metal and bend to fit on the passenger side.  On the
driver's side you can simply clamp a piece of sheet metal to the exhaust pipe
between the left valve cover and the exhaust.  I used scrap galvanized metal
duct cut to fit.

Most of the trombone installations I've seen were plagued by poor mounting
that allowed them to shake the exhaust packings at the manifold to pieces.  The
common mistake was to use metal strapping to just tie the rear of the exhaust
to the engine (or worse to the body where it was loosened with each twist of
the engine on its mounts).  And be careful when you back up.

They did turn heads when the car drove by though...............

Bob Hall