<VV> Little Corvair- Compressors again

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 9 13:14:01 EDT 2007

Well,
My nasal surgery was a success and I'm sufficiently on the mend,
school is out, and I going to get started on putting the 110 back
together again.  In order to do that properly, I need to clean,
clean, clean.  I will also need an air compressor to blow dry the
parts in the preparation process.

My choices are:
A Kobalt 30 Gal. that runs 5.3 CFM @ 90 psi, 6.2 CFM @ 40 psi, has
1.6 running hp, 155 max psi, and uses 120v  $379 (portable)
A Kobalt 60 gal. that runs 11.5 cfm @ 90 psi, 13.4 cfm @ 40 psi, has
3.7 running hp, 155 max psi, but uses 220v and would require that I
spend extra on adding a 220 outlet in the garage. $399 (stationary)

Can purchase with a 10% discount and 6 mos. to pay, no interest,
three year warranty

An Industrial Air 30 gal. that runs 5.7 cfm @ 90 psi, 7.0 cfm @ 40
psi, has 1.8 running hp, 155 max psi, and uses 120v $399 (portable)
An Industrial Air 60 gal, that runs 11.2 cfm @ 90 psi, 11.2 cfm @ 40
psi, has 3.6 running hp, 155 max psi, and uses 220v  $439 (stationary)

Can purchase with a 10% discount and 1 year to pay, no interest, two
year warranty

I'm a teacher, but I do whatever work on my cars that I can
reasonably handle.  As an example, I'm reassembling my engine on the
Monza by myself.  I'm no mechanic by any means, but I don't shy from
a challenge (probably should sometimes - ggg).  I will use the
compressor for some impact wrench work, painting around the house
(like THE house and possibly the car), some light construction work,
etc.

Will I be able to run hoses long enough to get to every part of the
house (as in the painting project), it seems like the doubling of
capacity for an extra $20-$100 (if you include the cost of installing
the outlet) for the larger compressor is a no brainer (or am I
missing something as regards what I will be using it for),
differences in quality and durability of the two brands considered,
and what am I over looking?

Please reply off line.

Stephen Upham