<VV> Re: fires

Ray Rodriguez reray at echoes.net
Sun Jun 10 10:54:34 EDT 2007

I think Padgett probably has the best theory yet on where the doc got this
idea about fires.

The Corvair is "known" to flip over... unfairly.

The Fiero is "known" to catch on fire... also unfairly.

I won't get into whether the Corvair actually ever had an excessive tendency
to roll over... but IF it did, it was fixed early on... the consensus here
is that it was never really a problem anyway.... the NHTSA agreed.

The Fiero had a higher then normal rate of fires on the first model year..
it was fixed by a recall almost immediately and never became a problem
again, but the fact that they got a reputation for being a fire car
contributed to its short production run.

I was a Fiero enthusiast before I became a Corvair enthusiast.

Ray Rodriguez
CORSA member
65' Corsa 140/4 coupe undergoing restification
www.myspace.com/vairnuts