<VV> Corvairs "burn"/And today's newb question is.......

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Sun Jun 10 11:00:09 EDT 2007

And again, like the Corvair air heater, the source of the problem was
OWNER lack of maintainence. Often the Fiero owner would let the car get
low on coolant or oil, or develop oil leaks, and the resultant
overheating or oil dripping on the exhaust manifold or catalytic muffler
did it in.

Americans, as a society, are notorious for neglecting their cars.

With the Corvair, it wasn't dangerous in relation to starting a fire,
but rather exhaust leakage could be dangerous if not lethal. The other
two smells you can get thru the heater are from oil and gas leaks.
Nontheless, I've always said that a Corvair would let you know when it
needed maintainence, in a helofa hurry and in no uncertain terms. Owners
who would rather complain about the smells than get the car serviced
deserve no sympathy from me.

-Mark