<VV> Re: Corvairs on Fire (was: today's newb question) - fasten battery !

Charles Lee at Proper Pro Per chaz at ProperProPer.com
Sun Jun 10 12:49:30 EDT 2007

I never had one explode, but  when I put a larger than stock battery in my
Corsa convert, the battery "walked" backwards in the side tray (the little
"clip" could not hold it).

When the battery walked back in the tray, the starter cable pulled against
the grommet through the chassis and actually cut through the chassis several
inches before finally fusing with the chassis and catching fire.

The "arc welded" cut was about 2" long before the fire finally engulfed the
right side of the engine compartment and think black smoke exited the vents
behind the rear window.

I had seen what fire departments can do to cars, so I pulled it into a side
street and contemplated what to do to save my car from the FD.

I huffed and puffed and blew the fire out !  Nearly hyperventilated but
finally got it out.  Good think I don't smoke !!!!

Bought new wires, drove it home, and cleaned her up there (away from the FD)

Not to disparage the FD, but when I reported a Lincoln (parked on a main
street) with a little smoke coming from under hood, they refused to open the
doors using the door handles to release the hood and instead tried to pry
the doors and hood open.  By that time, the car was destroyed from the pry
bar, and the flames engulfed the entire front end.

They probably had "safety procedures" to follow, and it was only a Lincoln
that could easily be replaced with insurance payment, so no big deal, but I
didn't want to see that happen to my Corsa convert !