<VV> Carpet Padding

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Wed Jun 13 09:27:20 EDT 2007

I added a lot of additional insulation to my Corsa... here's what I used
and what I found:

Stock engine lid insulation: likely the most effective sound reducer. I
ended up not continuing to use it, but it was the single most effective
piece.

Stock rear quarter insulation and then aftermarket 1" thick aftermarket
insulation: could tell very little difference. BUT stuffing carpet
insulation up into the quarters did help somewhat

Under the carpet I used the denser carpet pad from Home Depot and simply
laid under the carpet. This was well worth the cost and effort... not so
much in noise alone, but in overall feel. The issue is that you don't
want that foam getting wet and retaining water for ages...

More effective (noise wise) was rolling up some of this pad and stuffing
it under the rear seat.

Also, on the rear firewall, I used the silver backed 1" insulation (like
from JC Whitney) covered with carpet vice cardboard. This seemed to make
a difference as well, but not as much as the insulation rolled under the
rear seat.

You'll never get a Corvair to the same noise levels as a modern car, but
you can make it sound and feel more substantial and solid without much
expense. But always beware of the moisture issues... and properly
resealing the kick panels vents made almost as much noise difference on
the highway as the carpet pad!

Bill Elliott