<VV> Testing a top motor

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 13 17:23:59 EDT 2007

Not too  hard. The black wire is of course for ground, negative. The red one is for positive. The other two wires are to change direction.   I held mine in the bench vice to restrain it from torquing.

   What I did was hook the red up to +.
   Hook either of the other wires up to +.
   Carefully ground the black wire.

   If the motor is good it will run in one direction.
   Hooking the other wire up to + should get it to turn in the opposite direction.

  Bottom line is:
   Red to +
   Black to -
   Either other wire to +

Grant Young <gyoungwolf at earthlink.net> wrote:
  I have a convertible top motor I would like to bench test before offering it for sale. A couple of the wires have some melted insulation, so they might have been shorted to ground or each other. I also do not want to fry it, in case it is good, so I am looking for advise on how to check it. It has 4 wires coming from the motor: yellow, green, fabric wound red, and a chassis ground. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks,
Grant

MIKE KOVACS