<VV> From clutch to worse.. (1964 Sydper Turbo)

Bill Meglen tirediron at charter.net
Sat Jun 16 15:20:07 EDT 2007

My 1963 Spyder Turbo clutch disk disintegrated...replaced completely
with 1964 new clutch assembly flywheel etc. and pilot shaft bushing
(psb). Did NOT change clutch shaft pivot bolt. Pilot shaft fit very
snug. Finally after some list speculation (the usual suspects?). I
determined that perhaps the pilot shaft bushing was too tight
producing the equivalent of a "direct drive" transmission. Symptoms:
clutch acted like it was not fully disengaging, and no adjustment
corrected it. In installing the pilot shaft bushing I inserted it
flush with crank surface.  Noted on another engine that its pilot
shaft bushing was embedded about 3/32" beyond flush. Speculated about
need to change pivot bolt length (later bolt) but decided I was
getting sufficient free travel. Vendor advise was that it was not
uncommon with a tight bushing and  "driving" it would free it up.
Became concerned when 20 miles or so accomplished nothing. Had heard
stories of similar cases {non-corsair)  leading to seized bushing/
shaft so decided it had to come out again. Did so and evidence showed
that psb had likely spun in crank hole. Careful measurement of all
parameters made me confident that I did not have a bent or incorrect
pilot shaft etc. replaced with new bushing, lapped it lightly to
insure clearance, drove  psb further in and reassembled. My diagnosis
is that the tight pilot shaft bushing, and the pilot shaft shoulder
bearing tightly on the bushing created a semi efficient "direct
drive" mechanical connection.  Never had experienced anything like
this in previous clutch replacements. Did not even conceive of such a
problem.

Bill

1963 Corvair Spyder Convertible
1966 Corsa Turbo Convertible (project)