<VV> Gear Oil Blowing out Vent

James Davis jld at wk.net
Mon Jun 18 10:44:05 EDT 2007

Chevy moved the position if the diff vent around to try and mitigate
the oiling problem.  As I can see, none of the positions solved the
problem. My opinion is the pinion wimps the oil to a mist which is
slung up into the vent top and drips down around the edges.   Walt
Davison (longtime UltraVan owner) removed the vent and replaced it
with a six inch long 1/2 inch dia. tube filled with a brass kitchen
pot scrubber.  I doubt that would work on a car as there isn't the
room.  I welded in an "S" sheet metal baffle on the underside of the
cover over the vent.  It eliminated the oil coming out the
breather.  Mike, I will send you a picture of the baffle if you like
Jim Davis