Gasoline Storage Re: <VV> Convertible gasoline

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Tue Jun 19 18:55:58 EDT 2007

In a message dated 6/19/2007 1:32:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Sethracer at aol.com writes:

There  is
no gasoline that ages well in storage. There are  additional  measures that
can be taken, but there is hardly anything  better than  regular use.  - Seth

Emerson

While that may be true, I add Sta-Bil + isopropyl  alcohol to a full tank of
FRESH gas every fall and run the engine a bit to  get it into the pump, fuel
line and carb before shutting down for the long,  cold, salted-roads winter.
Then in the Spring, after at least 3 clean  rains have washed away all the
salt, I restart the engine after building up oil  pressure enough to put out the
oil pressure light.  If I don't use up all  the gas during the warm weather, I
siphon out what's left and put it into my  winter cars.  Then I refill the
Corvair tank with FRESH gas adding Sta-Bil  and isopropyl alcohol for another
winter.  Some of this treated gas ends up  in my lawnmower as well to protect it
for the winter..
    The Sta-Bil extends the life of the  gasoline delaying normal degradation
and gumming.  The isopropyl  alcohol co-dissolves the water condensate and
gasoline to a homogeneous  mixture.  Unlike more recent cars, the Corvair tank
is open to the  atmosphere through the vented gas cap so it "breathes"
surrounding air (and  moisture) in and out due to the change in temperature from day
to  night.  Moisture in this air will often condense and end up as insoluble
drops of water under the fuel (water is heavier than gasoline) in direct
contact with the floor of the gas tank.  Over time, it can rust holes  through the
tank resulting in leakage.  (Just ask me how I know  this.<GGG>)  The
isopropyl alcohol ("Iso-Dri Gas") keeps the  condensate in suspension out of direct
contact with the metal gas tank.
    Frank "what, me worry?" Burkhard