<VV> Corvair helping

Arjay Morgan n3lkz at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 20 12:07:15 EDT 2007

This list wouldn't exist unless there was a high degree of willingness  of one Corvair owner to help another. So it is in real life, when one Corvair owner breaks down there's usually another Corvairian ready to pitch in either a part or knowledge to put things right. That's the natural order of things in Corvair Land, and as it should be. Implied in this is the willingness of the recipient to either buy or replace the part that saved the day. It's such a simple concept it almost goes without saying, which is why this story is noteworthy enough to bring to this forum.

A month ago a feller broke a fan belt on the way home from a cruise-in. He called back for help and I provided my spare belt and a box of tools. Soon he was on his way, with a promise to replace the belt. To make a long story short, arrangements were made to meet at a subsequent event and make the belt replacement.  Never happened. Worse yet, I've been driving with no spare belt. That's not smart. So, today I'll just go and buy me a new belt.

Does that mean in the future if someone needs a belt I won't volunteer my spare? Not on your life. Does it mean I'll treat this individual any differently, even if he needs to replace a broken part that I have? Not on your life. Am I trying to sound like some kind of selfless martyr? Nope, not for a minute.

I only tell this story as a reminder that 1) not all Corvair folks are as attuned to the spirit of the hobby as others and 2) It is always better to give than to receive.

Arjay Morgan
64 Monza convertible

The Internet: a fantastic new technology that combines the accuracy of
fourth-hand hearsay with the excitement of typing.