<VV> Re: Generator

rchivers at tampabay.rr.com rchivers at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Jun 20 11:14:27 EDT 2007

>My problem is this, how in heck do I  remove the remaining bolt on the
right
>rear of the bracket. The pulley is in the  way for a direct path down
to the
>bolt head and the oil pressure switch is in  the way from the side.

Hello George,
     I had a similar problem with the generator on my Rampie a few
months ago.  The issue was on the 61 generator (so I'm told) the
generator fan has a solid plate on the outer face that is the same
diameter as the generator and totally obscures the bolt closest to the
oil pressure switch.

     To remove the generator you actually have to remove the fan off of
the generator.  Be sure and note that the nut is left hand threads, and
turns the opposite of what you expect (DAMHIK). Be careful as there is
a small wodruff key (half moon) that engages the fan to the shaft.  I
replaced the fan on mine with a later model generator fan that does not
obscure the bolts.

     I know with the correct oil pressure switch socket (has a very
thin wall since no real torque is used), and the later model fan you
should be able to snake around the generator and remove the switch
without removing the generator.  It is tight and you might have to
angle the socket slightly but can be done.  Not sure if you can do it
with the older style fan or not.  Guess there is a reason they quit
using that style (ggg).

Good Luck
Rex
65 Vert