<VV> Vapor Lock or Fuel Pump

Keith Onchuck keitho64 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 21 11:04:47 EDT 2007

I experienced a strange problem while out in the
Corvair this weekend. I drove the car about 30 miles
at 60-70 then made my way into stop and go traffic.
After sitting at a light I took off when the light
went green. The car started to sputter, spit, back
fire and also pop in the muffler. If I feathered the
throttle and managed to get the RPM up, it would take
off fine. After that I could cruise at 60 with no
problem. I could accelerate from this speed without
issue. If got stopped by another red light, the whole
problem would start over. I decided to pull over and
shut the car off for 1 hour. After that I drove home
just fine.

It was 80+ outside and the motor seemed hot, but not
overheating.

At the end of last summer I replaced the fuel pump
because my old one sprung a leak.  In the 13 years I
have owned the car I never had this problem before.
The car only has a mechanical pump.

I have checked all fuel lines and nothing appears to
be lose nor cracked.  I am 99% sure this is a fuel
delivery problem.  I checked the routing of the fuel
line on the drivers side of the car by the exhaust and
I cannot see nor hear any exhaust leaks blowing onto
the line.

Car is a 64 110 4-speed.

Does this sound like a vapor lock issue? Could the new
pump be the issue?  I have thought about going to a
whole electric fuel pump to test my theory of a
defective pump but I thought I would ask the experts
first.

(The bad news is I did not take the car to the CCE
parking lot show yesterday since I did not trust
driving it that far and getting stuck)  :-(

Thanks

Keith