<VV> silicone brake fluid

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 22 14:08:58 EDT 2007

> > ... none of the recognized disadvantages of silicone ... < <

But none of the advantages, either.

In spite of their best claims to the contrary, conventional/synthetic brake fluid is NOT a lubricant -- if it were, there would be no need for the silicone-based "Hydraulic Brake Assembly Lube" used to assemble both conventional and disc brake components.

Dot 5 certainly comes closer to having some lubricating properties than most brake fluids, and if one is trying to minimize mechanical wear and corrosion in a vintage brake system, it seems the logical choice to consider, to my way of seeing things.

Yeah, it is a little "spongier" maybe than the synthetic so it doesn't modulate as well, and it's not for ABS until they solve the foaming problem.

One does want to be sure to read the labels on Dot 3 & 4 when comparing brands -- esp the wet boiling points -- not all Dot 3's are the same [I discovered the other day, much to my amazement].

Bill S