<VV> silicone brake fluid and "Bloody George"

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Fri Jun 22 18:01:11 EDT 2007

At 10:48 AM 6/22/2007, Chris & Bill Strickland wrote:
>Glad to see you survived your alcohol based brake fluid episode, but as to
>
> > > ... blow it out with compressed air ...  < <
>
>ahem!  Compressed air is not good for blowwing out brake lines
>because of it's moisture content --

I'm aware of this.    :)

>you'd be far better off using your wife's (old) hairdryer and some
>sort of funnel concoction to direct it into the lines.  [Or plug the
>system and concoct fittings to attach it to an A/C vacuum pump --
>other ideas for DRY air?]

The air was from my paint compressor/tank... with TWO moisture traps
and a drying cannister in-line.

You can NOT paint a car with compressed air that has any moisture in
it.    You will find that moisture condenses in the hose and you then
get drips out of the fittings on the gun or you blow droplets out the
nozzle along with the paint.     NOT good.

The drying cannister was an oddity, originally (according to what I
was told) used in the medical profession to absorb moisture from
air/O2 lines, made of aluminum and about a foot long with thick
polycarb o-ringed caps on the ends with brass NTP fittings, held
together with threaded rods and nuts, had what was evidently a foam
dust filter in each end, sandwiching a sack of what looked for all
the world like kitty litter, only very light weight and tan-brown in
color.    Not sure what it was but it worked.   It evidently was made
the way it was so as to allow easy changing of the drying bag of
whatever it was.   I used it on the downhill side of the pressure
regulator...  didn't wanna put a bunch of pressure on it even though
the guy who gave them to me said they'd take as much as 200 lbs.

I still have several of these things in the basement...  next time I
paint another car one of 'em goes back in line.   They stopped ALL
moisture, nary a hint of a drop got through no matter how humid it
was.     I was told that you could reuse the sacks of crumbly by
baking them in an oven for a while at around 200 degrees according to
the donor.

...anybody able to tell me just what these things are and what they
were originally used for?  I've had them for about 20 years.   Bare
aluminum cylinders, clear-yellowish caps, four threaded rods/nuts
holding them together.

...by the way, they were given to me by the SAME sadist who cut up a
damned near PERFECT condition '63 Monza sedan to use as parts for a
rusty ratty-ass '63 coupe...  while experimenting with his new
Saws-All to see how well it would cut through rockers and door
posts/pillars.

I'm still ticked off about that to this day, each time I think about
it I fume.   Most solid '63 sedan I ever saw, ever, straight as a
needle everywhere and not a hint of rust, nice interior, had great
potential and this moron ruined it.     ...after he gave me the
drying cannisters.

tony..