E-85 - was Re: <VV> Satellite radio [Some Corvair]

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Mon Jun 25 11:38:47 EDT 2007

Mark,
    If we REALLY want to get ethanol from sugar cane,  why doesn't our
taxpayer- supported government ELIMINATE the 50+ cents per  gallon tariff on
imported sugarcane based ethanol from Brazil????   I  strongly doubt if the
Brazilians would use OUR money to pay for flying OUR  planes into OUR skyscrapers as
our Saudi "friends" have done!!
    I agree with you on the economics of cellulosic  ethanol.  We just gotta
get those enzymes working well enough to make the  conversion process
commercial.
    I'll bet running our Corvairs on E-85 would solve a  lot of overheating
AND pinging/detonation problems.  Reminds me that Saab  produced a prototype
turbocharged flex-fuel engine that was designed  to run on either gasoline OR
E-85, OR anything in between.  While  on gasoline, the turbo boost was limited
to only about 6 psig, but the computer  allowed 14 psig of boost when the
sensor detected that E-85 was being used,  thereby taking full advantage of the
much higher octane rating of the  ethanol.
    Now THAT'S what I call "flexibility"!!!
    Frank Burkhard

In a message dated 6/24/2007 11:57:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time,