<VV> Re: VV Drying Agent

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Jun 25 17:19:42 EDT 2007

At 12:36 PM 6/23/2007, you wrote:
>Tony,
>     Most likely they are Silica Gel material which is a commom
> drying agent usually packed in permeable bags with all sorts of things.

That's what I expected to find, but when I got one of the cannisters
open I found this muslin sack of what looked like chipped/ground
cork, same color and about the same weight.    The stuff is rice
grain sized and light weight.    If it gets wet it gets rather
"muddy" and clumps together.   If it really gets wet, it will
eventually dissolve in water.

No idea what the stuff is...  but I'm likely to replace it with kitty
litter when it gets exhausted...  pour the stuff into a cloth bag and
drop it into the cannister.    The saving grace of this light brown
stuff is that it doesn't really produce much dust at all.

Can't say that about kitty litter.    :)    It's a handy way to dry
compressed air though, if I can keep the dust out of the air stream.

tony..