<VV> Overheating (revisited)

David George dgeorge at heritage-consultants.com
Mon Jun 25 19:05:21 EDT 2007

Thanks to everyone that has helped me with my overheating question to date. Here's an update. There seems to be two schools of thought on my particular problem: blocked air passage versus timing. While I still have not pulled the fan shroud, I did have a chance to check the timing today. Keep in mind the car is a 110 running 92 octane gas and the marks on the harmonic balancer are in alignment. The timing reading with the vacuum advanced diconnected and plugged was 11 or 12. With the vacuum advance hooked up tot he distributor, it was 15 or 16. Does that sound like it is with the "reasonable" range? Any suggestions as to what I should set it with the vacuum advance off? I thought I read somehwere that it should be at about 14 without the advance. Does that sound correct? Before I pull the shroud, I'd like to make sure the timing readings I am getting are ok. Thanks!

Dave

P.S. Like all things, I also discovered my oil pan gasket is leaking at the left rear bolts. That's the first time I have seen that and the puddle generated in 5 minutes of running time was about 3 inches in diameter. Ugh!