<VV> Exhaust Question

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 26 21:00:03 EDT 2007

                                       B"H

Hi all...I need some help!  I attempted to replace the
exhaust pipe (from the manifolds to the muffler), the
muffler and tailpipe.

I got new packings (donuts) from Clarks, as well as a
new muffler and I have an exhaust pipe in very good
condition.

However, when I installed the new pipe, I felt some
air being expelled at the joints between each exhaust
manifold and the pipe.  On both sides.  So I
tightened.  And tightened some more.  Until I couldn't
go any further.  I tightened the studs so tight that I
busted the washers!  And there is still what seems to
be a leak!

A couple of questions...

First, does anyone know the correct torque setting for
the manifold to exhaust pipe nuts?

Second, is it possible that the "leak" isn't a leak
but hot air from the engine?

Third, is there some technique that I'm not following
to get the pipe to bolt up to the manifold without any
leaks?

I think I cracked the donuts, so I'm ordering another
set.

Thanks everyone for your help!...Bill H.