Fwd: <VV> Exhaust Question/leaks

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Wed Jun 27 11:17:50 EDT 2007

In a message dated 6/26/2007 11:48:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
gojoe283 at yahoo.com writes:

> However, when I installed the new pipe, I felt some
> air being expelled at the joints between each exhaust
> manifold and the pipe.  On both sides.  So I
> tightened.  And tightened some more.  Until I couldn't
> go any further.  I tightened the studs so tight that I
> busted the washers!  And there is still what seems to
> be a leak!

Exhause leaking at the exhaust pipe to manifold "log" joint will have a
spitting or ticking sound because of the exhaust pressure.  If you just feel air
(hot or warm depending on how warmed up the engine is, it is probably just
cooling air leaking at the back of the shroud.

During the original assembly when GM built the engine, a woven square was
placed on the manifold "log" just before the "ears" where the manifold exits the
shrouding.  This was, I believe, to keep moisture out of the lower shroud from
wheel splash, but it also reduced cooling air leakage around the log.  I
don't know many people who bother to replace the woven square piece much anymore,
but without it you can expect to feel cooling air escaping around the end of
the manifold "log" at the exhaust pipe connection.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
Kensington MD
'64 Brier