<VV> The Grim Reaper is working OT this year

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Wed Jun 27 11:27:28 EDT 2007

Got yet another of THOSE calls this morning. A close friend in my local
Corvair club just called me. He and I were going to go out junking this
afternoon to a yard where he had spotted an interesting Corvair. Seems a
close cousin of his was just killed in an accident this morning, and
things his way were in a state of confusion. So there goes our plans for
the day.

I'm reminded of the quote that says, every man's death diminishes me,
for we are all part of humanity. Fred Bybee said to me once that he used
to go to conventions for the cars, but anymore, he goes for the people.
Every convention for him has become like a big family reunion. Been
thinking that anymore, no matter what it is, CORSA convention, Fan Belt
Toss, DACC Homecoming, even my local club meetings, it's a family
reunion every time.

This year, I've lost count as to the number of friends who've lost loved
ones, or who themselves I've lost. It's been constantly reminding me of
the fragility of human life, and the uncertainty of its continuance.
That we never say "I love you" enough, not only to our immediate family,
but even to friends and dear aquaintances. And it's a sad irony that
obits and tributes are the kindest words that will probably be said
about ourselves and are the ones that we will never hear.

We should all be reminded that we should say those words BEFORE it is
too late for our loved ones to hear. We should say "I love you" more,
and hug more. Rejoice in our friends and relish those we love.

I am thankful for every one of my friends, so many I've met through the
years, at all the CORSA and other car club conventions, regional meets,
events, club meetings, Lodge, Chapter, Council, and Commandry meetings,
District meetings, State Assemblies and meetings, and so forth.
Especially those really good friends who would do anything within their
power to help in times of trouble, and have; and continue to do so.

It is said that one's true wealth lies in the number of good and true
friends one has, and not in one's material wealth. I know so many that
are really good and true friends; so that I can only consider myself a
wealthy man, even if I should end up living out of a cardboard box. I am
blessed by them in my life, and I thank God for each and every one of
them. I love these people dearly, and you know who you are. I will try
to say "I love you" to you more often.

-Mark C

In memory of Tony Fiore, Herb Berkman, Ed Corson, Alice Schneider, Larry
Hoffman, Tecca Swihart, Barb Kerr, Janet Cumbie, Howard Dixon, and too
many others.... May they rest from their labors in the peace of Lord.