<VV> re:48 mpg VW diesel...little Corvair

LonzoVair at aol.com LonzoVair at aol.com
Wed Jun 27 12:33:01 EDT 2007

Hey guys,
Last October a very dear friend found out her husband (also a dear friend of
mine) was transferring to Los Angeles from Indy... she had a 91 VW Jetta
ECOdiesel 5 speed (1.6 turbo diesel rated at 59HP) that she wanted to get rid of...
Sarah (my 16 year old daughter) and I drove up with a friend of mine and
helped her around the house, to get it ready to sell, and also to haul off some
stuff she couldn't take into California (he reloads a lot of ammo, so I got
plenty of shotgun shells and gun powder, as well as propane cylinders for camp
stoves)... after helping with the house, and my buddy decided he didn't want the
car, she signed the title and gave it to Sarah (she did 2 days worth of
yardwork in 4 hours)...
Sarah has been learning to drive a 5 speed, and I've been trying to keep
things fixed on it, since it has 262K miles on it. I've found I can squeeze 45 MPG
out of it when I maintain "speed limits"... Monday I followed the church bus
to camp (about 80 miles one way) to bring the bus driver back home (so we
didn't use up extra fuel driving the bus back here, and only used almost 4 gallons
for a 159 mile trip...
I've also found that the diesel additive "Power Service" helps stop leaks
from the injector pump and makes it run a tad better...
I figure once she goes to college she'll have a good, dependable car that she
can bring home for me to fix every other weekend, and it won't cost her a lot
in fuel...
;-)
Once she saw the sunroof and CD player in the VW, she lost all interest in
the 69 Monza... oh well, maybe it's better this way.
I'll have a "leg update" later today for those of you wondering about my hoof.
Later,
Lonzo

Lon Anderson in White Mills, KY
CORSA, Corvanatics, Derby City Corvair, Central Kentucky Corvair
1961 Greenbrier
1963 Greenbrier
1964 700 sedan
1969 Monza coupe FOR SALE