<VV> Re: Thermocouple adventure

Jim Steinborn jim at steinborn.org
Fri Jun 29 10:30:03 EDT 2007

>     Posted by: "Roger Gault" r.gault at sbcglobal.net rgault69
>
> If you extend the TC wires to the gauge with copper wires, the
> gauge is actually reading the difference between the temperature
> of the thermocouple junction crimped to the copper ring and the
> temperature of the TC wire to copper wire connection (and adding 70
> degrees).  In the case of the VDO TCs I use, that point is only about
> a foot from the ring.

When I installed my Westach dual CHT gauge, I got the gauge, the 2
thermocouples and a Westach 4-conductor patch cable to join the
thermocouples to the gauge. The instructions indicated one could extend
the patch cable by up to 10 or 12 feet. This allowed me to extend the
wires without modifying the thermocouples themselves, avoiding the
situation you describe.

Jim

--
Jim Steinborn   Fort Collins,CO         http://www.steinborn.org/jim