<VV> Cleaning the heads

Stephen Upham contactsmu at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 29 15:16:47 EDT 2007

     First these heads were completely rebuilt before
I lost a #3 rod bearing after driving about 35 miles
(NMF).  I've had to clean the entire engine from the
resulting debris as the other bearings went in short
order and then #3 ground into the crank - since
replaced.
     I want to check on my cleaning plan one more time
as I don't want to damage the heads 18 hours before we
start putting things together again.
     I'm going to clean the valve spring and lifter
guide section of the head very well. The heads are out
of the car and sitting on my work bench with the
springs installed.  I took out the push rod tubes
today and cleaned them inside and out; inside with a
nice long stemmed brush that I bought at the depot
last night. I have a complete Vitron ring set ready
for the reinstall.  The heads are clean to sight, but
I want to remove any lose metal that may be left over
from the oil pressure check when I found debris (LSS).
 I have purchased two cans of Sea Foam.  I thought to
spray them down very well, blow them out under about
100-120 psi using a directional spout on the
compressor line, and then follow up with carb cleaner
and re-blowing before oiling the springs and wrapping
them up in plastic bags for tomorrow.  Thoughts?

Stephen U