<VV> Corvair crank failure - at 4300 feet

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Thu Mar 1 17:59:27 EST 2007

At 10:53 AM 3/1/2007, Chris & Bill Strickland wrote:
>I don't recall this item showing up back during the broken crank /
>nitriding discussions -- sorta interesting
>
>     http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford/corvair/flexplate/problem.html

This is a good example of the logic in using a reduction gear drive
and the resulting escape from the *immense* amount of crank loading
that you have to deal with if you run a prop bolted directly to the crank.

All you need do is look at the crank in a Continental or Lycoming
boxer-6 aero engine and check that front hub and main bearing
journal.   It's huge.

http://www.superiorairparts.com/Images/PiecePartsPhotoGallery/Crankshaft/62.jpeg

The reduction gear drive absorbs all the different loading stresses
that the prop presents.   No flexing of the crank.   It also allows
you to buzz the engine a bit, into its most efficient rpm range which
in a 'Vair engine is certainly gonna be higher than the most
efficient rpm for a prop.

...the problem is the cost of these reduction gear drives...   X;{

Does anybody still make a reduction drive for a Corvair engine?

tony..