<VV> Re:Fluids - fact vs fiction

Richard Widman richard at widman.biz
Fri Mar 2 14:10:33 EST 2007

Synthetic blends can be anything.  Synthetic Oil is usually either group III
mixed with some group V for solvency, or group IV mixed with some group V
for solvency, so they are almost all some kind of blend.  Some would
consider Mobil 1 a blend, as it has (I think still in the US) its
"tri-synthetic" or something like that (not down here).  But some brands use
"synthetic blend" to mean it is semi-synthetic, or regular oil with
synthetic added.

Some semi-synthetics are great (Amsoil probably) and some are lousy (Shell
Argentina) - where they use lousy regular base oil and add 1 to 10%
synthetic for marketing reasons or to make the lousy stuff pass evaporation
or other tests that the base will not make.

All I carry are highly processed group II as regular oils, and Group IV/V
Synthetics, which we just call 100% Synthetic.

In the end, it is the performance that counts.  I do used oil analysis to
see the end result.

Richard Widman

www.widman.biz