<VV> Re: Here we go again...

cwiland at zzz.com cwiland at zzz.com
Fri Mar 2 14:52:01 EST 2007

  I'm running Total Seal rings in a 0.030" overbore '64 stock turbo
engine. I bought the rings and bored/honed barrels from an east coast
vendor, using their catalog claims of these rings being superior, and
the fact that I thought they were running those on their Spyder coupe.
I think my disappointment is the application on a turbo engine where,
at idle, the increased vacuum is just too much for the impeller oil
seal to control, and oil is drawn thru the intake. I've proven this on
my engine by removing the crossover tube and seeing oil there after a
particularly long "fogging " session.

  I bet the rings are great for a non-turbo application, but someday
in my spare time I plan to re-ring with a set of moly rings. I guess
this time it was my turn to be the ghinea pig!