<VV> Re: Here we go again...

Duane, Jim (US SSA) jim.duane at baesystems.com
Fri Mar 2 15:45:24 EST 2007

Same here.  Total Seal Mollies, to be exact.  I'm not entirely convinced
of high vacuum turbo failure though.  Why just idle?  I'm assuming that,
like me, it takes a couple of minutes before you get visible oil smoke
at idle.  The engine has to be warm.  I then run up to around 2000RPM
for a few seconds and it stops.  Why don't I get a cloud when I lift off
the throttle and decelerate?  I haven't seen more than a very slight
trace of oil in my intake.  Some VVres in the past have told me the
Total Seal oil control rings are weak and don't allow good wiping.  The
old time racers have also told me that a sure sign that a race car has
them is the puff of smoke during shifting. Even when the tailpipe is
smoking, the crankcase is smoke free.
	I plan to idle the car for a few minutes with the oil line
disconnected to prove/disprove the turbo leak theory.  If it still
smokes, then I will try to replace the oil control rings.  Hey, it's a
Vair!  Pull the heads, slide the jugs up to just expose the oil control
rings.  If it stops, I'll concentrate on the turbo. I still like the
idea of no gaps in that middle ring.
	I'm glad you VV'res posted!  I was beginning to think it was
just me!   So, the rest of you Total Seal Ring guys out there, turbo or
non-turbo.  Has anybody had a smoker that they fixed by just replacing
the oil control rings?  Is it just turbos??
	It's what this forum is all about!

Jim Duane
'66 180 Corsa CVT
Colonial Corvairs